Quantcast 3.5mm to USB Converter?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Guru

Default 3.5mm to USB Converter?

Hello,

I'm planning on purchasing the Sennheiser HD 515 Headphones, but I am still a bit unsure about a few things.

1) Is a 3.5mm jack the same type of jack that is used with average headphones?

2) Is it possible to use a 3.5mm to USB 2.0 converter with these headphones? (it looks like these headphones only have one jack, but most of the converters I've looked at are made to accommodate two jacks; I suppose for left and right audio) If it is possible to use a converter for these headphones, where can I find one?

3) I am planning on purchasing a mouse from a website called Tiger Direct. I've noticed the prices are shockingly low at this website, and it looks great, but does anyone have any experience with this retailer?

Thanks!

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: 3.5mm to USB Converter?

Quote Originally Posted by Badjer View Post
    Hello,
    1) Is a 3.5mm jack the same type of jack that is used with average headphones?
    Yes.

2) Is it possible to use a 3.5mm to USB 2.0 converter with these headphones? (it looks like these headphones only have one jack, but most of the converters I've looked at are made to accommodate two jacks; I suppose for left and right audio) If it is possible to use a converter for these headphones, where can I find one?
    What are you using these headphones with? I don't know of any laptop that doesn't have a headphone jack.
    The jacks in the USB "converters" you're referring to are probably headphone/speaker and microphone jacks, you only need to plug into one of them, a regular headphone jack usually carries both right and left audio (stereo) in the same plug.

3) I am planning on purchasing a mouse from a website called Tiger Direct. I've noticed the prices are shockingly low at this website, and it looks great, but does anyone have any experience with this retailer?
    I've shopped there a couple of times, I generally prefer Newegg, but I've had good experience with Tiger Direct. Be aware however, that in my experience at least, shipping costs are generally higher there than at other stores, which may offset a lower price.

Notebook Consultant

1) Yes. In the states they're called 1/8" jacks (and the 6.3mm is 1/4").

2) Yes. The headphones are 'dumb' and don't care what the source is. As long as the USB -> 3.5mm adapter is meant for use with headphones/speakers, you should be set. (PS why not just use hte headphone/line out jack on your computer?)

3) Yes. Tiger Direct is a great website. Before I buy anything from Newegg I double-check that TD doesn't have the same thing for cheaper. (If you're used to buying electronics from real stores, anything online is going to look shockingly low.) Buy.com is another great place for peripherals and computers (I bought my thinkpad from them, for example)
    Beltron IIB: Thinkpad T60 (2623D6U), 1.83GHz Core Duo, 14.1" SXGA+, x1300 64MB, 2GB DDR667 RAM, 80 GB 5400RPM SATA HDD, BT and Intel ABG Wireless

Beltoid: Shuttle SD37P2 E6400 C2D, XFX 8600GTS, 4GB OCZ RAM, Samsung DVD-R/RW/RAM, 1.47 TB Total HDD, 20" Samsung + 17" BenQ

Notebook Enthusiast

A great 3.5mm to USB converter which upsamples the sound and actually improves waveform quality is Creative Xmod. I use it and it works great- with X-fi crystalliser turned on it works well with music with plenty of mids but can turn too sharp with high pitched vocals, and overbearing with cymbals - you can turn these settings down though and it has a surround function effect for headphones which works well.

Notebook Evangelist

A "USB to 3.5" converter is a misnomer. Such a device is actually just a DAC. In peecee land, a DAC is called a "Sound Card". A small compact DAC. A cheap crappy one will give you cheap crappy sound. A good one will give you good sound.

This is the DAC I use:
    http://hifi500.com/product/da100.htm
    attached to one of these:
    http://hifi500.com/product/hp100.htm

Performs the exact same function as a so-called "USB to 3.5" converter but it actually sounds good.

The more you spend on a DAC, the better off you'll be. (A $20 DAC is garbage).
    1. Macbook Pro C2D@2.33Ghz, 4GB, 320 GB, ATI X1600, DVDRW, OSX 10.6.
    2. Toughbook CF-71 P2@366Mhz, 256MB, 40GB, DVD, Win2000

Notebook Consultant

Somehow... I don't think he's looking to spend $700+
    Especially just to pair with $65 headphones...

LFC
    Ex-NBR

Look just keep your wallet in your pocket and buy the headphones on their own. 3.5mm is indeed the size of headphone plugs. This one as do most come with a 6.3mm adaptor for the other size of headphone plug

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by t12ek View Post
    Somehow... I don't think he's looking to spend $700+ Especially just to pair with $65 headphones...
    Not suggesting that he should - merely pointing out what's out there since the question being asked was about a usb DAC product.

I agree with LFC, just plug the headphones into the onboard audio-out. There are plug adapters available. It will sound way better than a $20 USB DAC and costs less too.
    1. Macbook Pro C2D@2.33Ghz, 4GB, 320 GB, ATI X1600, DVDRW, OSX 10.6.
    2. Toughbook CF-71 P2@366Mhz, 256MB, 40GB, DVD, Win2000